Strawberry Rhubarb Cake/Muffins
Very close to mini coffee cakes from Panera Bread, yum, they are soo good! I baked in parchment lined muffin tins.
- 3 cups sliced rhubarb, (1 inch pieces) fresh or frozen
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, mashed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine, cut in small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 55mins
In a large saucepan combine rhubarb, strawberries and lemon juice. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Combine sugar and cornstarch; stir into strawberry rhubarb mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened; remove from heat.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
In a separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, eggs and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture. Spread half of the batter evenly into a greased 9x13x2-inch baking dish. Carefully spread filling over the batter. Drop remaining batter evenly over filling with a tablespoon.
In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in flour and sugar until mixture is crumbly then sprinkle over batter. Lay foil on lower rack to catch any juicy fruit spillovers.
Bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes, or until cake is done.
Cool cake in pan on rack. Cut rhubarb coffee cake into squares to serve.
You'll also love
- Lemon Blueberry Sour Cream Crumb... 4.6/5 (26 Votes)
- Spicy Roasted Corn & Feta Salad 4.4/5 (32 Votes)
- Smokey Shrimp & Tomato Bisque 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Irresistible Pecan Pie 4.6/5 (27 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pie 4.6/5 (26 Votes)
- Brown Sugar Pound Cake with... 3.8/5 (229 Votes)
- Little Apricot Cakes 4.6/5 (28 Votes)
- Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake 4.6/5 (26 Votes)
Review this recipe