Glazed Carrots, Cooks Illustrated Style
I have never liked cooked carrots-- until I made this recipe. These glazed carrots turned out a little "al dente", and glazed just enough to make these so good. Please click on the recipe source to see how I made them on my food blog, "A Feast for the Eyes".
I've also used this recipe with sweet potatoes. You can do different variations-- adding orange juice, or to be more savory, you can even add fresh minced garlic and rosemary.
I serve with with Meatloaf recipe that I've posted.
For more photos and info, please visit my food blog:
"A Feast For The Eyes"
- 1 pound medium carrots (about 6), peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick on the bias
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter , cut into 4 pieces
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Ground black pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Bring carrots, salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, and chicken broth to boil, covered, in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until carrots are almost tender when poked with tip of paring knife, about 5 minutes.
Uncover, increase heat to high, and simmer rapidly, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add butter and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar to skillet; toss carrots to coat and cook, stirring frequently, until carrots are completely tender and glaze is light gold, about 3 minutes.
Off heat, add lemon juice; toss to coat.
Transfer carrots to serving dish, scraping glaze from pan.
Season to taste with pepper and serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Chicken with Mushrooms in a Light... 4.4/5 (42 Votes)
- Hot Dogs for a Crowd Crock Pot 3.8/5 (101 Votes)
- Gluten-Free Slow-Cooker Beef Stew 4.2/5 (56 Votes)
- Garlic Knot Bread Bowl 4.6/5 (25 Votes)
- Beef Stroganoff with Broccoli 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Wild Rice & Porcini Mushroom... 4.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Herbed Quinoa & Red Rice Stuffing... 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Christmas Cookie Bar 4.6/5 (30 Votes)