Butternut Squash, Ricotta & Spinach Stuffed Shells
Butternut squash, ricotta, spinach and spices are combined to perfection in these stuffed pasta shells, enjoy!
- 1 (12-ounce) package jumbo pasta shells (about 24 shells total)
- 2 cups of ricotta
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 fresh smashed garlic clove
- 1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach (squeezed and drained)
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Roasted squash, around 2 cups
- grated lemon peel
- 1 stick of butter
- 10 sage leaves
- Fresh lemon juice
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Peel, chop and toss in olive oil your butternut squash, then in a hot oven roast at 425°F for 15-20 minutes.
Cook your jumbo pasta shells according to directions.
In a bowl add approximately 2 cups of ricotta, 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, 1 fresh smashed garlic clove, 1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach ( squeezed and drained), 1 egg, salt, pepper, and your cooled down roasted squash, around 2 cups and grated lemon peel. The lemon peel was key to this dish and added a nice bright flavor.
Stuff the shells with the mixture and place in a buttered baking dish.
Make a sage brown butter sauce by melting 1 stick of butter in a saute pan until golden brown and bubbly.
Add at least 10 sage leaves until slightly crisp. Turn off heat and squeeze in fresh lemon juice.
Place your shells in a 400°F oven until heated through around 20-25 minutes. When finished spoon your warm sage sauce all over and sprinkle with grated Parmesan.
You'll also love
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (521 Votes)
- Baked Potato Soup in a Slow Cooker 4.5/5 (492 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ravioli Casserole 4.5/5 (475 Votes)
- Snickerdoodle Bread 4.3/5 (554 Votes)
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.4/5 (482 Votes)
- Christmas Pecan Balls 4.6/5 (311 Votes)
- Zucchini & Sweet Corn Casserole 4.5/5 (193 Votes)
- Southwestern Stuffed Acorn Squash 4.5/5 (93 Votes)