Garlicky Black-Pepper Shrimp & Black-Eyed Peas
Delicious and healthy garlicky shrimp is mixed with spicy black-eyed peas for this quick and easy dinner full of flavor. A perfect weeknight meal, when you want something a little special.
- BLACK-EYED PEAS
- 4 bacon slices
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Turkish bay leaves or 1 California
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon hot red-pepper flakes
- 2 (15-ounces) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Make black-eyed peas:
Cook bacon in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until browned but not crisp. Transfer bacon to a plate, then tear into small pieces.
Cook scallions, carrot, celery, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, red-pepper flakes, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in fat in skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are pale golden, about 10 minutes. Add black-eyed peas and broth and simmer 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Season shrimp with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Cook shrimp with garlic, stirring occasionally, until just opaque (shrimp will not be fully cooked), about 3 minutes. Add wine and bring to a boil, then briskly simmer 2 minutes. Add bacon and black-eyed-pea mixture and simmer until just heated through (mixture will be juicy). Discard bay leaves and serve.
You'll also love
- Sauteed Pork Tenderloin Medallions... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Penne with Prosciutto, Walnuts &... 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Garlic and Dried Tomato Bread -... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Seared Beef Tenderloin Mini... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Paula's Easy Christmas Sugar Cookie 4.6/5 (35 Votes)
- Spinach Artichoke Bites 4/5 (109 Votes)
- Shrimp and Pineapple Skewers... 4.4/5 (45 Votes)
- Salmon Pasta Dish 4.5/5 (44 Votes)