Black-Eyed Peas and Greens with Sausage
Warm, delicious and full of flavor, this stew combines black-eyed peas, turnip greens and sausage to make a wonderful supper. Double the recipe on the weekend, and have a weeknight dinner ready to heat and serve.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 large bunch turnip greens, chopped
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups frozen black-eyed peas (about 2 1/2 pounds) If using canned black-eyed peas, rinse and drain the peas, then add to the pot during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- 1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 12 ounces smoked beef kielbasa, sliced
- 2 cups water (about)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
Heat a medium stockpot over high heat. Add olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, red pepper flakes and black pepper. And onion and bacon and saute until onion is tender. Add garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook about 1 minute. Add greens a little at a time, cooking until wilted. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth.
Once the greens are cooked down, add balsamic vinegar and sugar. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
Gently stir in peas, 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Stir well. Pour in greens with cooking liquid (pot likker). Fold in kielbasa. Cover and simmer over low heat until liquid is reduced by one-third, about 45 minutes. Uncover and continue to simmer until desired consistency is reached.
You'll also love
- CANDIED BACON-WRAPPED PINEAPPLE 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Ginger, Beef, and Green Bean Stir... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Chard & Caramelized Shallot Noodle... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Jones Sausage, Cranberry & Apple... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Farro Lentil Soup 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Lentils with Rice 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Spinach Cannellini Dip 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Conecuh Cocktail Sausage 4.5/5 (25 Votes)