Chicken stew with macaroni, cherry tomatoes, potatoes, carrots and zucchini
- 5 (or about 1kg) skinless chicken thighs
- 50 g butter (you may use olive oil for healthier choice)
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut to small chunks
- 2.5 cups (625 ml) good quality chicken stock (preferably home-made)
- 1 glass white wine
- 1 garlic bulb, separated into cloves and peeled
- 3 berastagi potatoes (or any hard potatoes), peeled and cut to chunks
- 1/2 tbsp herbs de provence (you may substitute with dried herbs such as dried thyme/rosemary or use fresh sprigs of fresh thyme)
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 dried bay leaves
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 zucchini, cut to small chunks
- 200 g cherry tomatoes, whole
- 300 g macaroni
- a small bunch of parsley, finely chopped
Adapted from noobcook.com
Cooking the chicken stew
1. Melt butter in heated casserole, then add diced celery and onions and ‘sweat’ them on medium low heat (about 3 -5 minutes).
2. Pour a glass of white wine into the casserole and saute the celery and onions until the alcohol has evaporated, and you smell the nice aroma of the wine.
3. Stir in flour and cook for one minute more to thicken the mixture.
4. Add chicken stock, chicken thighs, herbs de provence, potatoes, carrots, garlic and bay leaves.
5. Once the ingredients come to a simmer, off the stove. Cover the Dutch oven or casserole with lid and transfer to an oven. Bake the casserole at 180C for 1 hour.
6. After 1 hour, take the Dutch oven out (using silicon oven gloves). This is a good time to check the consistency of the stew. If you need to thicken it further, add more flour. If it’s too dry, you can add more chicken broth or hot water.
7. Add whole cherry tomatoes and cut zucchini to the stew. Return the casserole to the oven to bake for a further 30 minutes, or until the chicken is so tender that the meat drop off the bones. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Take chicken thighs out and place on a plate. Use a fork and spoon to shred the chicken. Discard the bones.
9. Cook pasta in salted water according to the time indicated on the package until al dente. Drain pasta.
10. Portion cooked pasta in deep serving plate, top with shredded chicken and scoop the chicken stew over. Garnish with chopped parsley.
You'll also love
- Apple Pie Spread 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Orange-Walnut Cheesecake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken and Gnocchi Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Carrots with Spiced Glazed 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Honeyed Pumpkin Spice Caramel Corn 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pumpkin Mousse 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Buffalo Chicken and Potatoes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Glazed Candied Carrots 0/5 (0 Votes)