Glazed Candied Carrots
- 1/4 cup low-sugar apricot preserves or jam
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar (not packed)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread (like Brummel & Brown)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- One 32-oz. bag (about 6 cups) baby carrots
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- Optional: black pepper, cayenne pepper, and ground ginger
To make the glaze, in a small dish, combine preserves/jam, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Stir well and set aside.
Put all of the veggies in the crock pot and top with the glaze.
Use a large spoon to stir the contents of the crock pot up a bit. (Don't worry if the preserves mixture isn't evenly distributed.)
Cover and cook on high for 3 - 4 hours or on low for 7 - 8 hours.
Once the veggies are cooked, in a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 2 tbsp. cold water, and stir until the cornstarch has dissolved. Add to the crock pot and mix well.
Turn off the pot and leave uncovered for 15 minutes to allow sauce to thicken. Stir and, if you like, season to taste with additional salt and optional ingredients.