African Chicken Peanut Soup
Chicken, peanuts and sweet potatoes simmer together to make this spicy African soup. Let it warm you from the inside on a cold winter night!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 to 3 pounds chicken legs, thighs and/or wings
- 1 large yellow or white onion, sliced
- 3 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, chopped coarsely
- 2 to 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 130mins
Heat vegetable oil in a large soup pot set over medium-high heat.
Salt the chicken pieces well, pat them dry and brown them in the oil. Don't crowd the pot, so do this in batches. Set the chicken pieces aside as they brown.
Sauté onions in the oil for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often and scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pot.
Add the ginger and garlic and sauté another 1 to 2 minutes, then add the sweet potatoes and stir well to combine.
Add chicken, chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, peanut butter, peanuts, coriander and cayenne and stir well to combine.
Bring to a simmer and taste for salt, adding more if needed. Cover the pot and simmer gently for 60 to 90 minutes, or until the chicken meat easily falls off the bone and the sweet potatoes are tender.
Remove chicken pieces and set them aside in a bowl until cool enough to touch.
Remove and discard the skin if you want, or chop it and put it back into the pot. Shred the meat off the bones and put the meat back in the pot.
Adjust the seasonings for salt and cayenne, then add as much black pepper as you think you can stand—the stew should be peppery. Stir in the cilantro and serve with steamed rice, if desired.
You'll also love
- African Chicken Stew 4.5/5 (54 Votes)
- Chicken with Orange-Sage Sauce 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Rotel Chicken Spaghetti 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Chicken – A Soulful Bowlful 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken Egg Rolls 3.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Chicken Makhani-Butter Chicken 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Roasted Chicken Stock 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Sesame Chicken and Noodles 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
Review this recipe