Chicken – A Soulful Bowlful
A savory tastebud tickler. A slow cooker does most of the work for you. When assembled and served no other entree will be needed.
- 2 chicken leg-thigh quarters
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks of celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, large dice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 T Herbes de Provence in cheesecloth
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 400mins
Remove skin and excess fat from the chicken quarters. I parboil the chicken for five minutes to remove excess fat and scum.
In a slow cooker make a bed with the vegetables. Add the chicken broth, bay leaves, and seasoning. Season the chicken quarters with Season All or your favorite. Set slow cooker to four hours on high or eight hours on low.
When done, remove the bay leaves and herbs. Place the chicken in a bowl to cool. Strain the vegetables into another bowl. Defat the chicken broth and pour into a 4-5 quart saucepan. Puree the vegetables in a blender, Cuisinart or with an immersion hand blender in the broth itself. You now have a richly colored and savory soup base. Debone and shred the chicken and add it to the soup.
Heat through. Add other taste-enriching dimensions that you may have on hand. I added a diced, freshly roasted Big Jim green chile and some diced bacon bits left over from brunch.
Serve with a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley or some shredded parmegiano. Serve with croutons and some fresh, crusty bread. And, if you will, your favorite Chardonnay.
You'll also love
- Rancher's Herbed Chicken 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes,... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken Egg Rolls 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Chicken Makhani-Butter Chicken 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Old-Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken and... 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- Baked Chicken Legs 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- All-American Oven "Fried"... 4.3/5 (15 Votes)