Sweet Potato-Pumpkin Pie with Struesel Crunch
Add harvest flavor to pumpkin pie with mashed sweet potatoes. Brown-sugar-coated cheese crackers and peanuts make for an easy yet elegant topper.
- SWEET POTATO PUMPKIN PIE:
- 1 Flaky Peanut Crust, ingredient list and recipe to follow
- 1 3/4 pounds sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 Streusel Crunch, ingredient list and recipe to follow
- STREUSEL CRUNCH:
- 1/2 cup bite-size cheese crackers, broken
- 1/4 cup salted cocktail peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- FLAKY PEANUT CRUST:
- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup salted cocktail peanuts
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut up
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup ice cold water
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 120mins
Prepare Flaky Peanut Crust; set aside.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place sweet potatoes prepared baking sheet. Bake 1 hour or until tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven; cool. Peel sweet potatoes; discard skin. Transfer to a food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Makes 2 cups.
For filling, in a very large bowl combine sweet potato puree, canned pumpkin, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir to combine. Add eggs; beat lightly with a fork until combined. Add buttermilk and cream; stir until combined.
Pour filling into prepared crust. Cover edges with foil. Bake in the 375°F for 50 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 20 minutes more or until edges are puffed and center 2 inches jiggles slightly when gently shaken. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours before serving. To serve, sprinkle with Streusel Crunch.
Preheat oven to 250°F. Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside. In a small bowl combine crackers, peanuts, butter, and brown sugar. Stir evenly to coat. Transfer to prepared baking sheet; spread evenly. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden, stirring halfway through. Remove from oven; cool completely on the baking sheet on a wire rack.
You'll also love
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Soup 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- No Bake Pecan Coconut Praline... 4.1/5 (17 Votes)
- White Chocolate Raspberry... 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- potato mac salad (Hawaiian style) 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Lemon Dill Zucchini Chips 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Crockpot Sweet Potato & Lentil... 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Peach Streusel Slab Pie 4.5/5 (16 Votes)