Sweet Potato Hash with Apples & Bacon
Tender garnet yams and Granny Smith apples create an interesting combination in this savory and sweet hash.
- 2 garnet yams, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 4 to 6 slices thick cut bacon, cut into lardons
- 1 large onion, cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup green pumpkin seeds (pepitas), toasted
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from jamesandeverett.com
Heat oven to 400° F.
In a large bowl, add the sweet potatoes, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Toss to evenly coat the sweet potatoes. Arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast the sweet potatoes for about 10 – 15 minutes or until they are soft but not mushy. Remove from the oven and set off to the side.
Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan. Add the bacon and place the pan over medium heat to slowly render the fat. When the bacon has started to get crispy and brown, add the onions, season with salt and saute until the onions are very soft and aromatic. Add the apples and the scallion whites and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the sweet potatoes, and saute until the sweet potatoes are cooked through and starting to become crispy, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with the scallion greens and pumpkin seeds.
You'll also love
- Wheat Belly Banana Bread 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Plentils Meatloaf Cupcakes... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Cornish Hens Stuffed with Wild Rice 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Three Tomato Crostini with Two... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Beef Taco Casserole 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Date-Nut Pop-ems 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Pork Andouille Sausage with Red... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Pork Spareribs, Raspberry 4.7/5 (3 Votes)