Spiced Chicken and Shrimp Egg Rolls
These chicken and shrimp egg rolls are flavored with Chinese Five Spice, Sriracha, ginger and garlic, and are served with sweet chili sauce.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 organic chicken thigh, de-skinned, de-boned, sliced into long thin strips
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 4 large shrimp, shells and tails removed, deveined
- 1 tablespoon Shaosing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch slurry (1/2 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- EGG CREPE:
- 2 free-range or organic eggs
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 dried shitake mushrooms, pre-soaked in hot water for 20 minutes, drained, stalks removed, sliced
- 1 spring onion, julienned
- 1/2 small handful beansprouts
- 1/2 small carrot, julienned
- 1/4 red pepper, deseeded, julienned
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- FRYING AND ASSEMBLY:
- 14 3/4 cups/3.5 liters peanut or vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Four 10-inch spring roll wrappers, such as TYJ (made from wheat flour, salt and coconut oil)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 scallions, julienned, soaked in ice-cold water to make curls
- Sweet chili sauce
Adapted from cookingchanneltv.com
Heat a wok over high heat. Add the oil, give it a swirl, and then add the ginger and garlic and toss for a few seconds. Then add the chicken strips and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the Chinese five-spice powder and toss well. Stir in the shrimp and cook for 1 minute, and then pour in the Shaosing rice wine and cook until absorbed. Stir in the soy sauce, slurry and Sriracha and toss well. Transfer to a plate to cool.
Crack one of the eggs into a bowl and lightly beat with a fork or chopstick. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper. Heat a small pan or wok over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the beaten egg mixture and swirl around to make a thin egg crepe. Gently cook for 1 minute, then flip and cook until lightly browned. Remove from the wok and set aside. Repeat with the remaining egg and oil.
Mix together the mushrooms, onions, beansprouts, carrots and red peppers in a large bowl. Reheat a wok and add some peanut oil. Add the vegetables and oyster sauce, toss well, and cook for less than 1 minute. Remove, drain and set aside.
FRYING AND ASSEMBLY: Heat the oil in a deep pot or wok over medium-high heat until hot. Lay 2 pieces of the spring roll wrapper out onto a flat surface in a diamond shape. Place one egg crepe right in the middle. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the filling into the center and top with the stir-fried vegetables. Brush over the wrapper edges with the beaten egg using a pastry brush; this helps stop the spring rolls from bursting open while frying. Fold each of the opposite corners in over the filling and roll the wrapper into a cigar shape. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and fillings.
Deep-fry the spring rolls until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels, garnish with scallion curls and serve with sweet chili sauce.
You'll also love
- Slow-Cooker Loaded Baked Potato... 4.2/5 (33 Votes)
- Chicken, Shrimp & Sausage Gumbo 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Teriyaki... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Black Bean & Corn Salsa Salad 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Fish Cakes 4.1/5 (25 Votes)
- Creamy Hot & Spicy Shrimp 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken Snacks 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Gochujang Chicken Wings 4.5/5 (14 Votes)