Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Teriyaki Bowls
- 4 or 5 boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 4 mini sweet bell peppers, any color, chopped
- 1/2 of a pineapple, peeled and cut into spears
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup toasted sweetened coconut flakes, optional
- For the Coconut Rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk (about one 13.5 oz can)
- 2 tsp packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups white or jasmine rice
- For the Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cornstarch+ 2 tsp water, mixed together
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
Adapted from tastesbetterfromscratch.com
Make the coconut rice by adding the water, coconut milk, sugar, and salt to a large
saucepan. Bring to a boil, then stir in rice. Return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes, before fluffing with a fork.
Meanwhile, make the teriyaki sauce by adding all of the sauce ingredients to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil for about 1 minute. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
Pour 1/4 cup of the teriyaki sauce over the raw chicken and set aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
Prepare your grill and heat it to medium.
If you have a vegetable grill basket to grill the vegetables in, then chop them and grill them in the basket. If not, cut the zucchini and onion into large chunks and leave the mini bell peppers whole. Drizzle some olive oil over the vegetables and over the pineapple spears. Grill the vegetables for just a few minutes on each side and then remove to a plate. Grill the pineapple next by placing the pineapple spears directly on the grill. Grill for about 2 minutes on each side, and remove to a plate. Lastly, place the chicken on the grill. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove to a plate to rest before slicing.
To serve, add coconut rice to each serving bowl. Top with grilled veggies, pineapple and chicken. Drizzle a little of the remaining teriyaki sauce on top. Sprinkle with toasted coconut, if desired.
You'll also love
- Sweet Hawaiian Slow-Cooker Chicken 4.5/5 (275 Votes)
- Spicy Mexican Chicken & Rice 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Sweet Potato & Rice Casserole 4.1/5 (21 Votes)
- Cracked Out Chicken and Rice 4/5 (50 Votes)
- Easy Chicken and Dumpling Casserole 4.3/5 (16 Votes)
- Pineapple-Mint Mojito 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Gochujang Chicken Wings 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Greek Orzo Chicken 4.3/5 (16 Votes)