Chicken, Shrimp & Sausage Gumbo
This Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage Gumbo is rich and full of great authentic Cajun flavors. Serve this warm and hearty dish over white rice with a crusty loaf of French bread on the side for sopping up that luscious gumbo sauce. This savory and slightly spicy recipe is the perfect way to warm up in the winter especially when served with your favorite hot sauce.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 (8-ounce) package smoked sausage
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, skinless
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped, about 3 stalks
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 pound crab legs
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning.
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder or 1 cube
- 1 tablespoon thyme, fresh or dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound shrimp, 41/50 count, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file
- 10 cups rice, cooked
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 110mins
Adapted from africanbites.com
Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil over medium heat in a heavy bottomed Dutch oven. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove. Add the sausage and cook until browned, and then remove. Set aside
In a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed saucepan combine melted butter, oil and flour until smooth. Cook on medium heat, stirring continuously, for about 20 to 30 minutes or until it turns a rich dark brown color - just like chocolate. Don’t walk away from the stove during this process. It might burn.
When you have achieved your desired color. Remove from stove and let it cool.
Return the Dutch oven back on the stove. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery and cook for 8- 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Then add chicken, sausage, crab legs, creole seasoning, chicken bouillon or cubes, paprika, thyme, bay leaves and let it cook for 5 minutes. Followed by can tomatoes about 6 cups of chicken stock, bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 45 to 50 minutes .Add the shrimp, simmer for 5 more minutes.
Stir in file powder, green onions, and chopped parsley. Adjust thickness of soup and flavor with broth or water and salt to your taste.
You'll also love
- Fabulous Barbecue Chicken Kabobs 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Beef & Broccoli - Instant Pot 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Teriyaki... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Spicy Mexican Chicken & Rice 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Italian Sausage Deep Dish Pizza... 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Smoked Gouda-Chorizo Jalapeño... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Creamy Hot & Spicy Shrimp 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Pow Pow Fried Shrimp 4.5/5 (20 Votes)