Popeye's Spicy Chicken Recipe
Do you like Popeye's chicken? Then you'll love this copycat to Popeye's Chicken recipe, crispy, golden deliciousness!
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup hot red pepper sauce (e.g. Louisiana Hot Sauce)
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 quart buttermilk, optional
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder, to taste
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken, cut into pieces
- Peanut oil, for frying
Preparation time 130mins
Cooking time 150mins
Place cut-up chicken in a large bowl, and cover with buttermilk. If you have the time, cover and chill for two hours, or overnight. This is optional, but will give the chicken more flavor and moisture.
In a large bowl, add eggs, water, and red pepper sauce. Whisk until combined.
In a large gallon freezer bag, mix flour, pepper, paprika, and cayenne.
If you marinated the chicken, remove it from the buttermilk now. Sprinkle chicken lightly with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Place all chicken pieces in freezer bag with flour mixture. Shake until all pieces are evenly coated.
Remove chicken pieces one at a time, shaking excess flour. Dip each piece in the egg mixture, and return to bag of flour. After all pieces of been dipped in the egg mixture and put back in the bag, give it a second shake to coat chicken pieces again.
Heat oil in deep fryer or deep pan to 350°F.
Working in batches, drop each piece of chicken into the hot oil. Fry for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown, turning occasionally if oil does not completely cover chicken. Keep in mind that dark meat chicken takes longer to cook than white meat. Watch your wing segments, as well; these will finish cooking first.
You'll also love
- Slow-Cooker Mac & Cheese 3.8/5 (2400 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Ranch Pork Chops 3.8/5 (1046 Votes)
- Cream Cheese Crescent Rolls 3.8/5 (1042 Votes)
- Crazy Good Chicken Casserole 4/5 (942 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.3/5 (807 Votes)
- Sweet Baby Ray's Crockpot Chicken 4/5 (837 Votes)
- Cinnamon Toast, the Pioneer Woman... 4.4/5 (526 Votes)
- Blueberry Biscuits 3.9/5 (375 Votes)