Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken & Dumplings
This Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken and Dumplings is the ultimate hearty and delicious family-friendly meal that is easy to reheat and makes great leftovers. Serve this chicken and dumpling recipe with a side salad or just garnish with chopped parsley for an added touch. This recipe is the perfect way to warm up during the winter months or when you just need a comforting bowl of deliciousness.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked chicken
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from tastykitchen.com
In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender. Stir in the milk, mixing with a fork until the dough forms a ball.
Heavily flour a work surface. You’ll need a rolling pin and something to cut the dumplings with. I like to use a pizza cutter. I also like to use a small spatula to lift the dumplings off the cutting surface.
Roll the dough out thin with a heavily floured rolling pin. Dip your cutter in flour and cut the dumplings in squares about 2x2-inches each. It’s okay for them not to be exact. Just eye ball it. Some will be bigger, some smaller, and some might be shaped funny.
Use the floured spatula to put them on a heavily floured plate. Just keep flouring between the layers of dumplings.
To cook them, bring the broth to a boil. Drop the dumplings in one at a time, stirring while you add them. The extra flour on them will help thicken the broth.
Cook them for about 15 to 20 minutes or until they don't taste doughy.
Add the cooked chicken to the pot and serve.
You'll also love
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (712 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.3/5 (871 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ravioli Casserole 4.5/5 (475 Votes)
- Cinnamon Toast, the Pioneer Woman... 4.5/5 (464 Votes)
- Tuscan Garlic Chicken 4.5/5 (449 Votes)
- Crusted Honey Mustard Chicken 4.5/5 (404 Votes)
- Crazy Good Chicken Casserole 4.3/5 (547 Votes)
- Smothered Chicken with Mushrooms &... 4.3/5 (525 Votes)