Mexican Stuffed Acorn Squash
Acorn squash stuffed with ground turkey, green peppers, onions, diced tomatoes and then topped queso fresco and cilantro.
- 3 acorn squash (1 1/4 pounds each), halved and seeded
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 12 ounces 93%-lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups cubed yellow summer squash
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt-free fiesta lime seasoning, such as Mrs. Dash brand
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)6 tablespoons crumbled queso fresco
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 80mins
Preheat oven to 400°F. Pour 1/2 inch water into a large roasting pan; add acorn squash, cut sides down. Bake 30 minutes. Turn squash halves cut sides up; coat with cooking spray and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until tender.
Meanwhile, in a 10-inch nonstick skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium. Add ground turkey; cook until browned. Remove turkey. In skillet heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Add green pepper and onion; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add summer squash; cook and stir 3 minutes or just until squash is tender. Stir in turkey, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the next three ingredients (through crushed red pepper); heat through.Spoon turkey mixture into squash cavities. Bake 10 minutes.
Top with queso fresco and cilantro.
Serving size: 1 stuffed squash half
Per serving: 262 calories; 11 g fat(3 g sat); 5 g fiber; 29 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 59 mcg folate; 47 mg cholesterol; 4 g sugars; 1,786 IU vitamin A; 54 mg vitamin C; 143 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 419 mg sodium; 1,005 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Vitamin A (36% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
You'll also love
- Baked Acorn Squash 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Baked Acorn Squash Fries 4.1/5 (60 Votes)
- Paleo AIP Strawberry Rhubarb Pie 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Parmesan Herb Encrusted Tilapia 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Stewed White Beans, Kale & Sausage 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Spaghetti Squash - Microwave Method 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Pumpkin Maple Pecan Granola with... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Cheesy Ranch Stuffed Mini Peppers 4.3/5 (4 Votes)