Golden Chicken Thighs with Charred Lemon Salsa Verde
The charred lemon salsa verde is an excellent accompaniment to these golden chicken thighs, but I also use it with roasted fish and veggies.
- 12 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- 24 sage leaves
- 16 garlic cloves, 6 cut into 4 slices each, the rest gently smashed and peeled
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 12 slices
- Strips of zest from 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt
- 12 fresh bay leaves, optional
- SALSA VERDE:
- 1 lemon, cut into 1/2-inch slices and seeded
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup oregano, chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 1/2 teaspoon drained capers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 80mins
Run your fingers under the skin of each chicken thigh to create a pocket. Stuff each pocket with 2 sage leaves, 2 slices of garlic and 1 slice of butter. Transfer the stuffed thighs to a large bowl. In a small bowl, stir the lemon zest strips with the smashed garlic, olive oil, chopped herbs and crushed red pepper. Pour the mixture over the chicken and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 450°F.
On a baking sheet, toss the lemon slices with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Spread the lemon slices in an even layer and bake for 16 to 18 minutes, until charred on the bottom. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool for 5 minutes. Chop the slices into 1/4 -inch pieces. Leave the oven on.
In a mortar, mash the oregano and mint with the chopped garlic, anchovy, capers and the 1 teaspoon of salt until a smooth paste forms. Slowly drizzle in the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil, stirring to create a sauce. Stir in the chopped lemon.
Heat a very large ovenproof skillet. Season the chicken thighs evenly with 4 teaspoons of salt; reserve the lemon zest and smashed garlic from the marinade. Arrange the chicken thighs skin side down in the skillet and cover with another large skillet or pot weighted down with a few heavy cans. Cook the chicken over moderate heat until the skin is golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes.
Remove the weight and turn the chicken. Scatter the reserved lemon zest and garlic and the bay leaves, if using, among the thighs. Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes, until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Discard the bay leaves. Transfer the chicken to a platter and serve with the salsa verde.
The salsa verde can be refrigerated overnight. Serve at room temperature.
You'll also love
- Pioneer Woman's Beef Brisket 3.8/5 (190 Votes)
- Maryland Jumbo Lump Crab Imperial 3.7/5 (372 Votes)
- Skillet Green Bean Casserole 3.9/5 (8 Votes)
- Pita Bread Salad with Tomatoes and... 4/5 (9 Votes)
- Chicken and Broccoli Butternut... 3.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Creamy Beef Stroganoff 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Keto Tuscan Chicken Meatballs 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Banana & Kiwi Muffins 3.8/5 (8 Votes)
Review this recipe