Southern Shrimp & Grits
Get the true Southern comfort food experience at home with this Southern Shrimp and Grits. Popping with bright zest lemon, succulent shrimp, and sharp white cheddar cheese, this shrimp and grits recipe is one that the whole family will love. Whip up a batch at your next brunch gathering or even for lunch or dinner any day of the week. This recipe comes together and is fully cooked in about 15 minutes, so that you can get dinner on the table in a hurry.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/4 cup sharp white cheddar or Manchego cheese, grated
- 1-pound wild-caught or sustainably raised shrimp, 16 to 30 count in size, shelled and de-veined
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- juice of 1/2 lemon
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 15mins
Adapted from localpalatemag.com
To make grits, combine milk, water, butter, and salt in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a roaring boil and slowly whisk in the grits. Decrease the heat to medium low. Continue whisking until no lumps remain, about 12 minutes. Decrease the heat to low. Cover the pan and let the grits simmer while preparing shrimp.
To prepare shrimp, heat a medium pan over medium-high heat.Toss shrimp with oil in a small bowl and season lightly with salt and pepper. Add shrimp to hot pan and cook, stirring, until just pink throughout, 2 to 4 minutes, depending on size of shrimp. Turn off heat and squeeze lemon over the top to release all the good bits from the pan to make a light, flavorful sauce.
To serve, remove grits from heat and stir in grated cheese. Divide among 4 shallow bowls and top with shrimp and pan sauce. Serve hot.
You'll also love
- Baked Parmesan Crusted Potato... 4.2/5 (95 Votes)
- Applebee's Blonde Brownies 4.5/5 (82 Votes)
- Boo Scotti 4.4/5 (84 Votes)
- Loaded Breakfast Casserole 4.4/5 (85 Votes)
- Creamy Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (79 Votes)
- Red Lobster's Cheese Biscuit In A... 3.9/5 (149 Votes)
- Japanese Hot Cake 3.9/5 (321 Votes)
- PEPPERED SHRIMP ALFREDO 4.4/5 (82 Votes)