Japanese Hot Cake
Japanese Hot Cakes are similar to American pancakes, but are a bit fluffier and have a little more sweetness. Hot cakes are a popular breakfast treat in Japan and often prepared using a packaged hot cake mix. No need for a hot cake mix here! They are also versatile, with a variety of toppings to choose from based on your tastes and what you may have on hand. Whipped cream with blueberries or blackberries, the options are limitless!
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk, plus 1-1/2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus 1 teaspoon
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from tarasmulticulturaltable.com
In a medium bowl, use a mixer to beat together eggs, milk, and vanilla until foamy. This should take about 3 minutes. You are looking for a consistency that is light, foamy, frothy, and full of bubbles.
In another medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and sugar. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to lightly, but quickly fold into the liquid ingredients until just incorporated. Allow resting until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
Place a large skillet over medium-low heat and lightly grease with butter or oil. Once heated, pour 1/4 cup of the batter in prepared skillet. Once golden on bottom and bubbles begin to form on top, flip to the other side. Continue to cook until golden. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately topped with maple syrup, butter, whipped cream or fresh berries.
You'll also love
- Crockpot Sweet Hawaiian Chicken 4.5/5 (80 Votes)
- Maryland Jumbo Lump Crab Imperial 3.7/5 (235 Votes)
- Beef Skirt Steak Pinwheels 4.5/5 (79 Votes)
- Belgian "Liege" Sugar Waffles 4.4/5 (85 Votes)
- White Gummy Bear 4/5 (157 Votes)
- Spinach & Gruyere Cheese Quiche... 3.7/5 (206 Votes)
- French Toast 4.6/5 (67 Votes)
- Strawberry Banana Pancake Kebabs 4.5/5 (68 Votes)