Acorn Squash Stuffed with Ground Turkey
- 4 med. acorn squash
- olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 lbs. ground dark-meat turkey
- 1 sm. onion finely chopped
- 8 saltine crackers
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 can (16 oz)tomatoes, pureed
- i hand-full uncooked rice
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from recipes.sparkpeople.com
Set oven at 400. Have on hand a lg. rimmed bakinig sheet.
With paring knife, carefully cut the squash lengthwise in half. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Cut a 1/4 in. slice off the bottom of each half so the squashes sit without rocking, if necessary. Set the halves, cut sides up, on the baking sheeet. Place 1/2 c. of water at the bottom of the sheet. Sprinkle the squash with oil, salt, pepper. Cover loosely with foil, shiny side down. You can also use glass 9"x 13" pans
In a bowl, combine the turkey, onion and crackers. Work the turkey mixture with your hands until it is thoroughly combined. In another bowl, combine the mustard, sugar, vinegar, tomatoes, salt & pepper. Add half of this tomato sauce to the turkey mixture and mix well. Fill the squash cavities with the turkey mixture. Cover with foil. Roast for 30 minutes.
Top the squash with the remaining tomato sauce. Continue roasting the squash, uncovered, for 30 min.. or until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of the turkey mixture registers 165 degrees.
Serve at once setting 2 squash halves on each of 4 plates.
You'll also love
- Salmon Croquettes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pepper-Crusted Beef Tenderloin 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cheesy Ranch Hash-Brown Potatoes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Beets with Rosemary and Balsamic... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- pioneer woman's sweet roasted... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- White Chocolate Popcorn 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Rumaki - Bacon Wrapped Pineapple &... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bread 0/5 (0 Votes)