Chef John's Party Cheese Puffs
These spicy, cheesy, herb-filled appetizers are perfect for your next party or gathering. This recipe serves a crowd and comes together in about 40 minutes to adorn your appetizer table with a sure-fire hit filled to the brim with melty cheese. But, be warned, these appetizers go fast, so consider doubling the recipe.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sharp Cheddar or Gruyere cheese, shredded
- Pinch cayenne pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from allrecipes.com
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
Stir water, butter, and salt together in a pot; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and whisk flour into butter mixture until a paste-like dough forms, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer dough to a bowl to cool until warm, 5 to 10 minutes.
Whisk 1 egg, thyme, and black pepper into cooled dough until egg is completely incorporated. Add remaining egg and whisk until completely incorporated into dough. Stir 3/4 the cheese into dough until combined. Scoop 1-inch balls of dough onto prepared baking sheet. Top each with remaining cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven until golden and puffed, 15 to 20 minutes.
You'll also love
- Spinach Bacon Cheese Puffs 4.6/5 (39 Votes)
- Coconut Oil Coffee 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Coffee Smoothie 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Macadamia Nut & White Chocolate... 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Chard & Caramelized Shallot Noodle... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Apple, Bacon, & Leek Stuffing 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Grilled Cheese with Bacon and... 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Loaded Smashed Potatoes 4.5/5 (24 Votes)