Shiitake & Roasted Red Pepper Puff Pastry Tart
Almonds and tarragon may seem like unusual additions to a mushroom and pepper tart, but the combination is simply amazing. Serve a slice with a green salad to make it a meal or slice it smaller to serve more hungry guests as an appetizer. Perfect for any gathering and for the holidays, this recipe will fly off your buffet table because of its crispy crust and cheesy, flavor-packed toppings.
- 1 (9-ounce) sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups (8-ounces) shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup (4-ounces) jarred roasted red peppers, patted dry and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (4-ounces) Gruyère, coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon, plus 1 teaspoon
- 3 tablespoons almonds, sliced
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from finecooking.com
Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F.
Unfold the pastry sheet on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and score a 3/4-inch border on each side with the tip of a paring knife. Beat the egg in a medium bowl. Brush the border with some of the egg. Prick the rest of the crust all over with a fork and bake until puffed and golden, about 15 minutes. Gently press the center of the pastry to flatten large air pockets.
Meanwhile, heat the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until the foam subsides. Add the mushrooms, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the edges start to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat to cool slightly.
Add the mushrooms, red peppers, cheese, 1 tablespoon of the tarragon, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the remaining beaten egg and gently stir to combine.
Spread the mixture over the tart, leaving the border uncovered. Sprinkle the almonds over the vegetables and continue to bake until the cheese is melted and the topping is heated through, about 10 minutes more. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon tarragon. Cool slightly before serving.
You'll also love
- Turkey-Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Baked Brie with Raspberry Jam,... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Herb-Crusted Rack of Lamb with... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- White Bean & Prosciutto Bruschetta 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Indian Cauliflower Fritters 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Cream Filled Donuts 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Monster Finger Cookies 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Cheddar Bay Almond Flour Biscuits 4.2/5 (27 Votes)