Gluten-Free & Grain-Free Pretzels
Make your own gluten-free and grain-free pretzels from scratch. You can add some different spices to change the flavors, like some fresh coarsely ground black pepper. Enjoy plain or with your favorite dip.
- 3 eggs, at room temperature, divided
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free blanched almond meal flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free organic coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon water
- coarse salt
Preparation time 50mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from aloveaffairwithhoney.wordpress.com
Beat 2 eggs, and set them aside.
Add the almond flour, salt, and butter together and mix well. Into this mixture, pour, and mix the beaten eggs. This is where you should have a very wet dough.
Add in 1 tablespoon of coconut flour and mix in well. Allow to sit for about a minute as the coconut flour takes a bit of time to absorb. You are looking for a dough that can be easily kneaded, yet will not stick to your hands.
Add a second tablespoon of coconut flour, looking for this play-doh like texture. Add a third tablespoon, if needed, to get the desired texture.
Let the dough rest for 5 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F. Liberally grease a cookie sheet.
Take a hunk of dough about half the size of a golf ball and roll the dough under your hands into a long, skinny piece about the length of a pencil.
Once you have a piece of dough this size, continue to roll it thinner and thinner until it is about twice as long.
Very carefully lift the long skinny piece of dough to the cookie sheet. Twist it carefully into the shape of a pretzel–or the shape of letters, hearts, I even flattened out a few pieces and used a cookie cutter to make some cool shapes.
Place the pretzels in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Beat the remaining egg and add 1 teaspoon water.
Remove the pretzels from the oven. Turn the oven up to 400°F.
Turn all of the pretzels over and you will see the bottom is nicely browned. This is actually the top of your pretzel. Lightly brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse salt.
Return to the oven for 5 minutes, then serve warm.
You'll also love
- Hot Pretzel Bites 4.4/5 (91 Votes)
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake 4.1/5 (20 Votes)
- Cherry Kool-Aid Pie 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Sunday Slow Cooker: White Chicken... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Easter Peep S'mores 4.2/5 (25 Votes)
- Baby Back Ribs in an Instant Pot 4.3/5 (19 Votes)
- Strawberry Cake Mix Donuts 4.2/5 (31 Votes)
- Mac & Cheese Cups 4.5/5 (17 Votes)