Pukka Yellow Curry with Chicken Drumsticks
A delicious from-scratch recipe for pukka yellow curry with chicken drumsticks. A food processor will help with the many ingredients that create the flavor base.
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger
- 2 yellow peppers
- 1 cube chicken boullion
- 1 to 2 fresh red chillies
- 1/2 a bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- 1 level teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 8 higher-welfare chicken drumsticks
- Olive oil
- 1 (400-gram) tin of chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon tomato purée
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1 lemon
- Fat-free natural yogurt , to serve
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 75mins
Peel the onions, garlic and ginger and deseed the peppers. Put 1 onion, 1 pepper, the garlic and ginger into a food processor. Crumble in the stock cube and add the chilli (deseed it first, if you prefer a milder curry), the coriander stalks, honey and spices, then blitz to a paste.
Place a large casserole pan on a medium-high heat and cook the chicken drumsticks (pull the skin off first, if you prefer) with a splash of oil for 10 minutes, or until golden, turning occasionally with tongs. Remove the chicken to a plate, leaving the pan on the heat.
Roughly chop the remaining onion and pepper and add to the pan to cook for a few minutes, then tip in the paste and let it cook down for around 5 minutes. Pour in 2 1/4 cups (500ml) of boiling water. Drain the chickpeas and add along with the tomato purée and a pinch of salt and pepper, then stir well. Return the chicken to the pan, pop the lid on, reduce the heat and simmer gently for around 45 minutes, or until the sauce darkens and thickens.
With 15 minutes to go, put 1 1/2 cups of rice and 2 mugs of boiling water into a pan with a pinch of salt and simmer with the lid on for 12 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Serve the curry in the middle of the table with a few dollops of yoghurt (if using) and a scattering of cilantro leaves, with lemon wedges for squeezing over and the fluffy rice on the side.
You'll also love
- HCG Diet (P3) Coconut Flour... 4.2/5 (72 Votes)
- Alice Springs Chicken (Outback... 4.5/5 (48 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken with Peanut Glaze 4.9/5 (15 Votes)
- Chipotle Popcorn Chicken Recipe 4.5/5 (45 Votes)
- Queso Chicken Pasta 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- Spicy Szechuan Chicken with Noodles 4.4/5 (50 Votes)
- Skillet Teriyaki Chicken 4.3/5 (53 Votes)
- Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks 4.5/5 (39 Votes)