Queso Chicken Pasta
Comfort, for me, comes in the form of cheesy pasta with a Tex-Mex kick.
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/3 cup milk, 2% or higher
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 6 ounces colby-jack cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup drained Ro*Tel tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 48mins
Adapted from evilshenanigans.com
Heat the oven to 350 F and spray a medium casserole dish with non-stick spray.
Cook the pasta according to the package directions, but reduce the cooking time by two minutes.
In a medium pot heat the oil over medium heat. Once it begins to shimmer add the onion, garlic and peppers. Cook until they begin to soften, about three minutes. Add the cumin, coriander and salt and cook for an additional two minutes, or until the spices become fragrant.
Add the flour and cook for three minutes, stirring constantly, until all the flour is moist. Gradually whisk in the milk and stir until smooth. Bring the mixture to a simmer and allow to thicken.
Turn off the heat and add the cream cheese and 4 ounces of the shredded cheese and whisk until melted. Stir in the Ro*Tel tomatoes.
Pour the pasta into the prepared casserole dish, stir in the shredded chicken and sauce. Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
Bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until the pasta is bubbly and the cheese has melted. Let stand five minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Breakfast Egg Omelette Muffins 4.5/5 (45 Votes)
- Crock Pot Swiss Chicken 4.3/5 (59 Votes)
- Pick Up Stix House Special Chicken... 3.9/5 (165 Votes)
- Chicken, Broccoli & Cheese Skillet... 4.5/5 (43 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Broccoli... 4.5/5 (43 Votes)
- Barbecue Chip Chicken 4.3/5 (49 Votes)
- Paleo Chicken Tacos 4.4/5 (44 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup 4.7/5 (30 Votes)