Asian Sweet Chili Sesame Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, thawed*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Sriracha to taste (optional)
- Sweet Chili Sesame Sauce
- 1/4 -1/3 cup Asian sweet chili sauce (1/3 for more heat)
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons quality hoisin sauce like Lee Kum Kee or Kikkkoman**
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (or 3-4 garlic cloves, minced)
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder (or 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- toasted sesame seeds
- chopped green onions
Adapted from carlsbadcravings.com
Add chicken to the bottom of your crockpot.
Whisk the Sweet Chili Sesame Sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl. Pour over chicken.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Shred chicken and add 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water to the crockpot. Stir contents around. Cook on high for 20-30 minutes until sauce thickens. Taste and add Sriracha for spicier, brown sugar for sweeter if desired.
Serve with rice and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.
*You can use frozen chicken breasts but just be aware that they will release more water so you will need to increase the cornstarch in order to thicken the liquid at the end.
**Hoisin sauce can be found in the Asian section of your grocery store.