Mandazi African Donuts
Nothing better than hot, fresh donuts! Mandazi are African donuts that are spiced with a little cardamon, cinnamon, and coconut milk. They are delicious served with a cup of coffee or tea, and make a great addition to any breakfast or brunch spread.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- vegetable oil for frying donuts
Preparation time 80mins
Cooking time 110mins
In a small bowl mix the yeast and warm water together, and stir. Let sit for 5 minutes until yeast dissolves.
In the bowl of your mixer, add flour, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon, and mix until well combined. Add vegetable oil, egg, coconut milk, and yeast mixture. Using the hook attachment mix everything until the dough is not too sticky and it does no longer stick to the side of the bowl, add additional flour as needed.
Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rest for about 1 hour until the dough rises a bit. Heat oil in a frying pan or a wok works.
Cut the dough in about 6 pieces to make it easier to roll and cut. Roll each piece so that the dough is about 1-centimeter or less than 1/2-inch in thickness. Cut into triangles and place in hot oil. Fry on both sides. Place donuts on paper towels to soak up the oil. Repeat with remaining dough. Sprinkle with powder sugar. These donuts are best served fresh and hot.
You'll also love
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip... 4.6/5 (43 Votes)
- Gluten-Free Slow-Cooker Beef Stew 4.3/5 (50 Votes)
- Italian Easter Bread 4.7/5 (34 Votes)
- Gluten-Free Cornbread Dressing... 4.6/5 (35 Votes)
- Bacon Asparagus Pastry Twists 5/5 (8 Votes)
- Eggnog 4.5/5 (47 Votes)
- Strawberry Margarita Jello Shots 4.4/5 (53 Votes)
- Cheesecake Filled Chocolate... 4.6/5 (42 Votes)