French Crullers - Dunkin Donut Copycat
French Crullers are soft doughnuts with a sweet glaze. These taste just like the ones served at Dunkin Donuts!
- HONEY GLAZE:
- 1/2-inch star pastry attachment
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3 large eggs
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk or water
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from keithaccino.blogspot.com
To make this French Cruller donut, bring the water, butter, sugar and salt to a brisk boil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
Stir in the flour all at once and continue stirring until the flour is completely incorporated.
Keep stirring over medium-high heat.
The more moisture you can remove, the more eggs you can mix in later which will result in a lighter pastry.
When you see a thin film start to coat the bottom of the pan, the batter is ready.
Transfer the dough to the bowl of a stand mixer.
Use the paddle attachment to stir the dough for a minute to help it cool.
Turn the mixer to medium speed and add one egg.
Don’t add the next egg until the previous has been completely incorporated into the dough.
Then add the egg whites a little bit at a time until the dough becomes smooth and glossy and holds a little shape (not much).
Do not add too much egg white or else the crullers will become heavy.
Transfer the dough to a large pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch star tip.
Fry the crullers in 2 inches (or more) of vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
The oil should register 370 degrees.
While the oil is heating, cut a dozen 3-x3-inch squares of parchment.
Lightly grease the squares on one side (I brushed with vegetable oil) and pipe a ring of dough onto each of the squares.
When the oil has reached temperature, carefully place a French cruller, paper-side up, into the hot oil.
Do this one at a time unless you like the idea of hot oil burns and other disasters.
After a minute or so, use tongs and a sharp knife tip to gently peel the parchment off the cruller.
When the cruller turns golden (about 2 minutes), flip it over and let it fry for another couple of minutes before removing it to drain on a cooling rack or paper towels.
Make the glaze:
While the cruller donuts cool, mix the confectioners’ sugar, honey, and milk together until smooth.
When the crullers are cool to the touch, dip the top of each cruller into the honey glaze and set on a cooling rack to let the drips run off.
When the glaze has set, the crullers are ready to serve.
Crullers can also be baked.
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Pipe crullers onto a parchment-lined baking sheet at least 2 inches apart. Bake for five minutes then reduce oven to 350 degrees and bake another 15 minutes.
Turn off heat, open the oven door a crack, and let crullers sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
Glaze and serve.
You'll also love
- Crockpot Ravioli Casserole 4.3/5 (346 Votes)
- Maple Cream Sauce for Butternut... 3.7/5 (387 Votes)
- Hawaiian Wedding Cake 3.8/5 (357 Votes)
- Breakfast Pockets 4.3/5 (288 Votes)
- Strawberry Coconut Chia Seed... 4.4/5 (228 Votes)
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup 4.5/5 (140 Votes)
- Mandazi African Donuts 4.4/5 (47 Votes)
- Chocolate Nutella Peanut Butter... 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Berliner Pfannekuchen (German... 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Mexican Bolillos (Bread Rolls) 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- Strawberry Cake Mix Donuts 4.2/5 (29 Votes)
- Homemade Pasta Dough - Kitchen Aid... 4.2/5 (38 Votes)
- Homemade Beignets with Pate a Choux 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Native American Sweet Fry Bread 4/5 (62 Votes)
- Brown Sugar Glazed Pineapple... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Chocolate Bundt Cake - Martha... 4.1/5 (30 Votes)
- Irish Lemon Pudding Tart 4.2/5 (20 Votes)
- Crispy Lemon-Coconut Pan-Fried... 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip... 4.4/5 (36 Votes)
- Best Hamburger Buns - Made in an... 3.8/5 (56 Votes)
- Bread maker Pretzel Bites 4/5 (53 Votes)
- Turrón de Navidad 4.4/5 (21 Votes)
- Neiman Marcus Popovers 3.7/5 (78 Votes)
- Amish Cinnamon Rolls 3.8/5 (45 Votes)
- Povitica (Potica) Bread 4/5 (18 Votes)
- Raspberry Kringle - NuWave 4/5 (1 Votes)