Cranberry Pumpkin Seed Energy Bars
Save money at the store with these wonderful DIY energy bars made with pumpkin seeds, cranberries, pecans, rolled oats, flaxseeds, honey, and rice cereal.
- 1 cup pecans, crushed
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds
- 2/3 cup muscovado or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups puffed rice cereal
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 160mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the pecans, oats, pumpkin seeds and flaxseeds on the sheet and bake until fragrant, 8 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
In a saucepan, bring the sugar, honey, butter and salt to a boil over moderate heat. Simmer until the sugar is dissolved and a light brown caramel forms, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
Drizzle the caramel all over the nut-and-oat mixture. Stir in the puffed rice and cranberries until evenly coated.
Line an 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper, extending the paper over the side. Scrape the cereal mixture into the dish in an even layer. Cover the mixture with a second sheet of parchment and press down to compress it. Let stand until firm, about 2 hours.
Discard the top piece of parchment. Using the overhanging paper, lift out the cereal square and transfer it to a work surface. Cut into 12 bars and serve.
You'll also love
- Strawberry-Spinach Salad with... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- CROCK-POT PULLED PORK IN MUSHROOM... 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- desser - Easy Gluten Free Peach... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Squash Apple Turnovers 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Casserole 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Ricotta & Pear Crostini with... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Aunt Mary's Blueberry Muffins 4.3/5 (20 Votes)