Skillet cornbread is a southern classic! Eat with your favorite hearty meal and use it to sop up all the juices! YUM!
- 2 to 3 teaspoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups white cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Coat bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with bacon drippings; heat in a 450° oven for 10 minutes.
Whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add cornmeal, stirring well.
Stir in baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour batter into hot skillet.
Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Serve with butter.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Crab Rangoon Dip 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Pumpkin Cheesecake w/Candied Pecans 4.8/5 (16 Votes)
- Steak and Lime Rice Burritos 4.7/5 (20 Votes)
- Brownie Kale Bites 4.8/5 (16 Votes)
- Knock-Your-Pants-Off Sweet & Spicy... 4.4/5 (45 Votes)
- Classic Potato Salad (adapted for... 4.7/5 (20 Votes)
- Roasted Corn Cheese Dip 4.8/5 (16 Votes)
- Malasadas, Hawaiian Donuts 4.1/5 (68 Votes)