Hushpuppies are a popular side dish in the Southern tradition, But you can love them no matter where you live. Shrimp makes these morsels party-worthy!
- 7 ounces cooked shrimp
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup milk
- 1 whole egg
- 1 whole small vidalia onion, minced
- 3 whole celery stalks minced
- 1/4 cup chives, minced
- Oil, for frying
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cut shrimp into small pieces. Season with salt and pepper and set aside so the flavor can seep in.
Meanwhile, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, 1 teaspoon salt, cayenne, paprika. Add milk and egg and stir.
Add onions, celery, chives, and shrimp and stir with a wooden spoon. The batter should be thick.
Preheat oil to 350°F.
When the oil is ready, use a mini cookie scooper to scoop some of the batter and carefully lower into the hot oil.
Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown, then place on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil. When ready, eat!
You'll also love
- Mango & Pineapple Jam 4.5/5 (39 Votes)
- Greek Potato and Tomato Bake 4.5/5 (40 Votes)
- White Chocolate Lemon Meringue Pie 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Crunchy Taco Salad 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Easiest Pineapple Cake 4.5/5 (42 Votes)
- Homemade Marshmallow Creme 4.6/5 (29 Votes)
- Easy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes 4.6/5 (30 Votes)
- Scary Easy Werther's Caramel Apples 4.1/5 (79 Votes)