Brown Sugar Cranberry Whole Wheat Peasant Bread
As a Bohemian bread goddess, my breads are combinations of whatever I feel like adding to them as I’m making them, and, in this case, as I was creating this bread, sugar plums were dancing in my head, so I decided the make this ‘Brown Sugar Cranberry Whole Wheat peasant Bread.
- 2 packages yeast
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup warm water (110-120 degrees)
- 4 cups lukewarm water
- 6 tablespoon brown sugar (divided)
- 6-8 cups whole wheat flour (divided)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
Adapted from allyskitchen.com
In a large mixing bowl, combine yeast, salt and ½ cup warm water. Blend together well and let stand about 5-7 minutes. Add in lukewarm water and 2 tbl brown sugar and blend.
Begin adding about 5-6 cups of flour (one cup at a time) to water mixture gradually making a thick gooey batter. Turn and blend well with a wooden spoon. The dough will be very thick but pliable somewhat like a ‘lava’ texture. Cover with a cloth and let rise until about double in size (usually a few hours).
After the dough has raised, dump it on to a well-floured surface. Begin working in the flour to the dough and kneading. Add more flour as you turn and knead the dough. The dough will begin to feel more like play-dough and start taking shape.
With a knife divide the dough into 2-3 pieces. Pat out and sprinkle the remaining brown sugar on each of the pieces. Put equal amounts of cranberries all over the dough then press in with your hands.
Roll in to a loaf shape folding in the sides and ends. Pinch together the seam on the bottom. Make slits on top with a sharp knife.
Place dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet and cover loosely with foil (just laying atop the dough loaves). Let the dough raise about 30 minutes.
Bake for about 45-55 minutes (depending upon the size of the loaves…leave foil on bread until the last 10 minutes of baking). Remove foil in last 10-15 minutes to brown. When done, remove and let cool about 10-15 minutes before cutting or tearing off a piece!
You'll also love
- Taco Stuffed Pasta Shells 4.5/5 (36 Votes)
- Microwave Strawberry Cream Mug... 4.8/5 (16 Votes)
- Kale Cucumber Pineapple Smoothie 4.7/5 (20 Votes)
- Blackberry "Goddess" Smoothie 4.7/5 (20 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Haystacks 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Apple Chips 4.7/5 (20 Votes)
- Shrimp Hushpuppies 4.4/5 (40 Votes)
- Cream Cheese-Filled Chocolate Chip... 4.7/5 (18 Votes)