Potato Corn and Chicken Stew (Ajiaco)
This stew gets most of its creamy texture from the potatoes. Cubed Yukon gold potatoes impart a golden color, while grated Russets release their starch to provide a velvety mouthfeel without added cream. Grate the potatoes on the small holes of a box grater to make sure they dissolve into the broth. Potato Corn and Chicken Stew
or Ajiaco is a creamy and hearty recipe that is best served with a crusty loaf of bread for dipping.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 12 chicken thighs, skinned, about 4-pounds
- 3 1/2 cups fat-free, lower sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, divided, about 3 ears
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chopped oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 1/2 cups, cubed peeled Yukon gold or red potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup cubed peeled avocado
- 4 1/2 teaspoon capers
Preparation time 72mins
Cooking time 82mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of chicken; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove chicken from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining half of chicken. Remove from pan; discard drippings.
Place 1 cup broth and 1/2 cup corn kernels in a food processor, process until corn is pureed.
Heat Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and carrot; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in pureed corn mixture, remaining 2 1/2 cups broth, remaining 1 cup corn, 1 1/2 cups water, oregano, and thyme; bring to a simmer. Stir in baking potato.
Return chicken thighs to pan; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring frequently to keep potatoes from sticking to the pan. Add Yukon gold potato; cover and simmer 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from pan; cool slightly.
Remove chicken from bones, discarding bones. Shred chicken into bite-sized pieces. Return shredded chicken to pan. Stir in cilantro and next 4 ingredients (through black pepper); cook uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Ladle soup into bowls; top with avocado and capers.
You'll also love
- Moroccan Beef & Pumpkin Bake 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Roasted Cauliflower-and-Garlic Soup 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Ground Beef Salisbury Steak 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Red Kuri and Apple Soup with... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Sweet potato sauce 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Hot German Potato Salad 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Easiest Ever Pumpkin Soup 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Maja Blanca with Corn and Cheese 4.3/5 (3 Votes)