Fresh Pickle Relish
Nothing beats homemade relish. It is quick an easy to make, and tastes so relish. Serve over dogs, on a sandwich or burger.
Recipe by Chris Morocco
- 1 large English hothouse cucumber (about 1 pound), finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons peeled ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from epicurious.com
Place cucumber in a fine-mesh sieve set over a medium bowl; toss with 1 teaspoon salt. Let sit 10 minutes, then squeeze well to remove as much moisture as possible (do not rinse).
Meanwhile, heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and cook, stirring, just until they begin to pop, about 1 minute. Mix in ginger and turmeric and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add vinegar and sugar and cook until syrupy, about 5 minutes longer. Mix in cucumber; transfer to a small bowl and season with salt. Let cool.
Make ahead: Relish can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and chill.