Green Beans with Shallots, Thyme, & Shiitake Mushrooms
These green beans aren't just any ordinary green beans and come highly recommended.
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots, 2 medium
- 12 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and halved
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, optional
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from bhg.com
Bring a large pot of salted water to boiling. Add green beans. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain green beans in a colander. Run cold water over beans until chilled to stop the cooking and keep the beans bright green.
In an extra-large skillet heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add shallots; cook just until tender, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms; cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
Add green beans. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until heated through, tossing occasionally. Add lemon peel, lemon juice, and thyme; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If desired, garnish with almonds.
You'll also love
- Good Eats Roast Turkey 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Chard and Potato Frittata 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Mile-High Caramel Apple Pie 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Festive Cranberry Jell-O Salad 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Vegetarian French Onion Soup with... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Green Beans Almondine 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Figgy Toffee Pudding 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Easy Mushroom Leek Soup 4.6/5 (9 Votes)