Slow-Cooker Corn Chowder
There is nothing quite like a steaming bowl of Slow-cooker Corn Chowder, which comes together in no time at all and cooks hands-free in your slow-cooker, so it can be ready when you get home for work or it can be cooking while you get ready for your celebratory party or gathering. Serve heaping servings in bowls and top with freshly cracked black pepper, cheese, scallions, and some nice crusty bread for dipping.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme
- 4 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 275mins
Adapted from bhg.com
In a medium saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion; cook about 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer mixture to a 4 to 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in potatoes, broth, bay leaf, salt, dried thyme, and paprika.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting about 3 hours or on high-heat setting about 1 1/2 hours or until potatoes are tender. Stir in corn and milk. Cover and cook about 1 hour or until heated through.
In a small bowl stir together cornstarch and wine; stir into mixture in cooker. Cover and cook for 10 minutes more. Stir in fresh thyme.
Using a potato masher, gently mash potatoes until soup is slightly thickened. Sprinkle each serving with crumbled bacon and cracked pepper.
You'll also love
- Key Lime Pie (Olivia's) - 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Low Fat Banana Nut Bread 4.1/5 (20 Votes)
- Gingerbread Muffins 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Fresh Peach Salsa 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Dad's Sweet Potato Pie 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- BAKED ACORN SQUASH WITH BROWN... 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Crock Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Creamy Potato Salad 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
Review this recipe