Zucchini-Potato Latkes with Tzatziki
Tzatziki, a flavorful Greek yogurt sauce laced with cucumber, is a tangy accompaniment for these high-fiber latkes. Make it a Meal: Enjoy with sliced fresh tomatoes and a few kalamata olives or put patties and tzatziki (yogurt sauce) in pita pockets for lunch on the go.
- 1 pound zucchini,shredded
- 2 cups shredded cooked potato, (see Note)
- 2 medium shallots, minced, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and shredded
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 37mins
Adapted from EVERYDAYHEALTH.COM
1. Preheat oven to 450° F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Toss zucchini, potato, 3 tablespoons shallot and egg in a large bowl. Add breadcrumbs, feta, 1 tablespoon dill, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to combine. Form the mixture into 12 patties.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 6 patties, cover and cook until crispy and browned on one side, 2 to 5 minutes. Carefully transfer the latkes to the prepared pan, browned-side down. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and patties.
Transfer the latkes to the oven and bake until firm and heated through, 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, prepare tzatziki: Combine yogurt, cucumber, vinegar, the remaining minced shallot, 1 tablespoon dill and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl. Serve the latkes with the tzatziki on the side.
TIPS & NOTES
Note: Shredded cooked potatoes can be found in the refrigerated produce section or dairy section of most supermarkets.
Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor into coarse crumbs. One slice makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 325 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 10 g fiber; 689 mg sodium; 560 mg potassium.