Zucchini 'n Cheese Manicotti Recipe
- Six teen 1/4-inch-thick zucchini slices, cut lengthwise from 2 - 3 large zucchini (see HG Tips!)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup light/low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped basil, or more for topping
- 2 tbsp. reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping
- 1/8 tsp. each salt and black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Optional topping: chopped basil
Adapted from hungry-girl.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8" X 8" baking pan with nonstick spray.
Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion until soft and lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer onion to a medium bowl. Add ricotta cheese, basil, Parm-style topping, salt, and pepper. Add 1/4 tsp. each Italian seasoning and garlic powder, and mix until uniform.
Lay 4 zucchini slices vertically on a dry surface, slightly overlapping, to form a rectangle. Spoon 1/4th of the ricotta mixture (about 1/4 cup) onto the bottom of the rectangle. Carefully roll up the rectangle over the filling and continue rolling until you reach the top. (The zucchini doesn't need to look perfectly uniform... It just needs to hold the filling!) Using a wide spatula, transfer to the baking pan, seam side down. Repeat to make 3 more manicotti.
In a medium bowl, mix canned crushed tomatoes with remaining 1/4 tsp. each Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
MAKES 2 SERVINGS
To prevent the zucchini from rolling around when you slice it, cut off a thin piece from the length of the zucchini, creating a flat surface. Then lay the flat part on the cutting board, and slice vertically. Make sure your slices are no thicker than 1/4 inch each.
You'll also love
- Crab and Roasted Red Pepper Bisque 3.9/5 (23 Votes)
- Arugula Salad with Fennel, Pear, &... 3.8/5 (22 Votes)
- doTERRA Luscious Lemon Bars 3.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Sweet and Nutty Kale Salad 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Paleo Pad Thai with Sunshine Sauce 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Twice Baked Spaghetti Squash 4.5/5 (16 Votes)
- Chicken Pad Thai Zoodle Bowls 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Zucchini-and-Mozzarella Flatbread 4/5 (4 Votes)