Potato-Kale Hash with Eggs
This potato and kale hash recipe is just as fun to make as it is to eat. After the potatoes and kale are roasted, the hash is formed into 4 individual “nests” that are finished with an egg in the middle. To keep the prep work to a minimum, use pre-chopped kale, found near other prepared cooking greens. If you’d rather chop your own, start with about 1 bunch and strip the leaves off the stems before chopping.
- 5 cups unseasoned frozen shredded hash browns (see Tip)
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese, preferably smoked
- 4 large eggs
Adapted from eatingwell.com
Position a rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
Combine hash browns, onion, garlic, oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread onto the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes. Layer kale evenly over the potato mixture. Roast for 5 minutes. Stir the kale into the potatoes until combined. Continue roasting until the kale is tender and the potatoes are starting to brown, 4 to 6 minutes more.
Carefully push the hash into 4 “nests” and make a well in the center of each, large enough for an egg. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese into each well, then carefully break 1 egg into each. Bake, rotating the pan 180 degrees about halfway through, until the whites are barely set, 7 to 11 minutes. (The eggs will continue to cook a little more out of the oven.)
Tips & Notes:
For this recipe, be sure to look for unseasoned frozen shredded hash browns; if you can only find seasoned hash browns, omit the salt in Step 2.
You'll also love
- Grilled Onion and Sage Flatbread 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- One Pot Wonder Thai Peanut Pasta 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Chickpea Avocado Salad Sandwich 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Spinach and Cheddar Rolled Omelet 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Agave and Whisky-Glazed Sweet... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Sausage & Spinach Skillet Pizza 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Roasted Yam & Kale Salad 4.6/5 (5 Votes)