Sausage & Spinach Skillet Pizza
Starting the pizza on the stove top makes a perfectly crisp pizza crust! Feel free to adjust the pizza toppings to your family favorites. The homemade sauce is so easy and economical.
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 5 ounce package fresh baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons water
- Olive oil
- 1 pound frozen pizza or bread dough, thawed
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 to 8 ounces)
- Crushed red pepper (optional)
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 50mins
Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. In a small bowl combine tomato sauce, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese, the tomato paste, oregano, basil, and the 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper. Set aside.
Place spinach in a large microwave-safe bowl; sprinkle with the 2 teaspoons water. Cover with a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on 100% power (high) for 30 seconds. Continue cooking in 10-second intervals just until spinach is wilted. Let stand for 2 minutes; carefully remove plate. Transfer spinach to a sieve; press out excess liquid.
Brush a 12-inch cast-iron or other heavy oven-going skillet with oil; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll pizza dough into a 14-inch circle. Transfer to the prepared skillet. Roll edges to form a rim. Brush dough lightly with oil. Spread tomato sauce mixture over dough; top with sausage and spinach. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and the remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
Cook pizza in skillet over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Place skillet in oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until crust and cheeses are lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Using a spatula, slide pizza out of skillet. Cut into wedges. If desired, sprinkle with additional crushed red pepper.
You'll also love
- Crab Enchiladas with Green Mole 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Steamed Pork Belly Dumplings with... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Beef and Eggplant Casserole 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Citrus Mashed Plantains 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Paleo Chinese Eggplant 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- California Lettuce Wrap - South... 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- White Pizzas with Arugula 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Bulgur, Spinach and Tomato... 4.3/5 (11 Votes)