Sufganiyot, Jelly Doughnuts
Hot and fresh out of the fryer, these Sufganiyot or jelly-filled doughnuts are best served warm with the juice of your choice or freshly brewed coffee for dipping. Start the day off the right way with one of these scrumptious Sufganiyots. Adorn your Hanukkah table with a couple dozen of these sweet treats or start off any holiday celebrations with a couple of these scrumptious delights.
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water, about 100 to 115°F
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 teaspoon
- 2 1/2 cups Gold Medal unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup seedless jam for filling
- powdered sugar for topping to taste
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 90mins
In a small bowl, whisk together yeast, water, and 1 teaspoon sugar until yeast is dissolved. Let stand 10 minutes until foamy. In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, add flour and make a well in the center. Add eggs, yeast mixture, butter, and salt. Stir to combine.
Knead dough, adding more flour 1 tablespoon at a time until dough is smooth and elastic and only slightly sticky, about 10 minutes by hand and 5 to 6 minutes in a stand mixer. Shape dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours
Punch down dough and roll out to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using a biscuit or cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, cut dough into 2 1/2-inch circles. Re-roll out dough as necessary. Cover circles with a tea towel and let rest 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat to 370°F. Add doughnuts to oil 3 to 4 at a time, flipping over with a slotted spoon until both sides are deep golden brown, about 30 seconds. Remove doughnuts with slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with remaining doughnuts.
Poke a skewer in the side of each doughnut. Using a pastry bag with a narrow piping tip attached, pipe about 1 to 2 teaspoons seedless jam into each hole. Sprinkle doughnuts with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
You'll also love
- Perfect Iced Tea 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Nut Butters 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lemon and Coriander Marinated... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Ice Cream & Candy Bar Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fat-Free Applesauce Cookies 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Ham & Broccoli Quiche 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken Liver Pâté 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Eggs Benedict with Green Tomatoes 0/5 (0 Votes)