Breakfast Mac & Cheese
Imagine a heaping breakfast plate with cheesy eggs, spicy sausage, and biscuits. Now take that plate and make it Breakfast Mac and Cheese. Voila.
- 1 pound pasta (I used cavatelli shaped pasta)
- 1 pound breakfast sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds discarded, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 5 cups Colby Jack cheese
- 1 cups Pepper Jack cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- 6 breakfast biscuits, toasted and crumbled (homemade or refrigerated)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 50mins
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage until browned. Remove sausage from the pan, drain the fat off and set sausage aside. In the same skillet, add the onion, peppers and garlic salt and cook over medium-high heat until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove onion and pepper mixture from heat and set aside.
Add butter to the same skillet and stir constantly until melted. Add the flour and stir constantly over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Slowly pour in the milk and whisk continuously until it is smooth and has thickened, about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove skillet from the heat and stir in 4 cups of Colby Jack and 1/2 cup of Pepper Jack along with salt and pepper to taste. Add the pasta, cooked sausage, onion/pepper mixture to the cheese mixture and stir until combined. Pour into a large buttered baking dish.
In a small bowl, whisk all the eggs together. Add in remaining cheese and crumbled biscuits, stir until combined. Pour this mixture over the pasta in the baking dish. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooked Ribeye 3.7/5 (418 Votes)
- Stupid Easy Slow Cooker Chicken... 4.1/5 (133 Votes)
- Honey Garlic Pork Chops 4.4/5 (106 Votes)
- Ham and Cheese Biscuit Cups 4.4/5 (111 Votes)
- Tennessee Honey Corn Pudding 4.2/5 (123 Votes)
- Corn Bread Casserole 4.4/5 (101 Votes)
- Crock Pot Lasagna 4.5/5 (94 Votes)
- Almond Milk Rice Pudding 4/5 (143 Votes)