Broiled Salmon with a White Bean, Kale & Bacon Ragoût
High heat adds flavor fast to this salmon, which is drizzled with bacon fat, then seasoned. The hearty ragoût rounds out the dish and adds substance to the overall meal.
- 1/4 lb. thick-cut bacon (about 4 thick slices), cut crosswise into thin strips
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups packed thinly sliced kale leaves (stems removed)
- 1-1/2 cups homemade or low-salt canned chicken broth
- 15-1/2 oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed well and drained
- 1-1/2 lb. skinless salmon fillet, cut into 4 uniform pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
Set an oven rack 6 inches from the top element and heat the broiler to high.
In a heavy skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon in the olive oil, stirring occasionally, until the bacon renders much of its fat and starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Use a spoon to remove 2 Tbs. of the bacon fat from the skillet and reserve in a small bowl.
Add the garlic to the bacon in the skillet. Cook, stirring, until the garlic starts to sizzle, about 30 seconds. Raise the heat to high, add the kale, and sauté, stirring, until it starts to wilt, about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the skillet, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
While the beans are cooking, line a heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet with foil and arrange the salmon, skin side down, on it. Drizzle the reserved bacon fat over the salmon and season with 1/2 tsp. salt and a few generous grinds of black pepper. Broil until slightly firm to the touch, 7 to 10 minutes for medium (the salmon will be dark pink in the middle). Sprinkle half of the thyme over the salmon. Stir the remaining thyme into the beans and kale and season with salt and pepper to taste.
To serve, spoon equal portions of the beans and kale onto dinner plates and top each with a piece of salmon. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Jennifer's Pumpkin Pie 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- Santa Maria Style California BBQ... 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- 4-Layer Coconut Cake 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Broccoli Slaw Salad with... 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Slow Cooked Carolina Beef Brisket 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Crab Rangoon Dip 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Best-Ever Crab Cakes 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Hot Spinach Dip 4.5/5 (19 Votes)