Spicy Tuna Cakes
A fun and tasty spicy tuna cake recipe! Eat them just out of the oven as a snack or appetizer, or as part of a meal. Serve with a garlic aioli for dipping.
- 3 tablespoons melted ghee, divided
- 10 ounces canned albacore tuna packed in water, drained
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh cilantro
- 1 1/3 cup mashed baked sweet potato
- finely grated zest from 1/2 medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium lemons, cut into wedges (optional)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from nomnompaleo.com
Preheat the oven to 350°F, and use a brush to grease a 12-cup regular sized muffin tin with one tablespoon of melted ghee.
In a large bowl, mix together the tuna, scallions, and cilantro. Add the mashed sweet potato to the tuna mixture, and gently combine.
Then, mix in the lemon zest, jalapeño, the remaining two tablespoons of ghee, eggs, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
(Not sure if you’ve added enough salt and pepper? Take a small portion and fry up a little pancake to see if the seasoning is right!)
I use my hands to mix everything together because that way I can make sure that the fish chunks aren’t overly broken up.
Scoop a quarter cup of the mixture into each greased muffin tin cup and flatten with the back of a spoon.
Bake the tuna cakes for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out cleanly.
Transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool. The easiest way I’ve found to get them out is to put the wire rack on top of the muffin tin, flip everything upside-down, and tap them gently on the counter. Voilà!
Grab a lemon wedge and squeeze some juice on your tuna cake before your pop it in your mouth. They’re fantastic right out of the oven. Alternatively, store them in the fridge, and when you’re ready to eat, skillet-fry the cakes in some melted fat over medium heat. Crisp the edges, and you’re good to go.
You'll also love
- Homemade Flour Pasta 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- Grandma's German Potato Salad 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Crab Stuffed Deviled Eggs 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- Baja Fish Tacos 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Broiled Salmon with a White Bean,... 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Hot Spinach Dip 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Shrimp, Scallop & Crab Ceviche... 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Easy 3 Ingredient Banana Bread 4.3/5 (36 Votes)