Cheesy Yellow Squash Casserole
- 6 medium yellow squash (3-1/2 to 4 lbs)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (2/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mild or sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream (can sub mayo)
- Salt, garlic salt, black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup crushed buttery crackers for Topping (such as Club or Waverly)
Chop onion. Set aside. Cut ends from squash; rinse squash and pat dry with paper towels. Cut each one crosswise into 1/4" slices.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the squash, onion, and desired seasonings; saute until just tender (mine took about 20 minutes), keeping the mixture rotated as it cooks. Remove from heat; using a large slotted spoon or spatula, transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl (do not add the liquid). Stir in the Parmesan, shredded cheese, and sour cream. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
Lightly grease or spray a 2-qt. casserole dish. Spoon the mixture into the casserole dish. Sprinkle top evenly with the cracker crumbs. (If you like, dot the top of the cracker crumbs with a few very thin slices of butter, or mix a little melted butter with the cracker crumbs then sprinkle on top.)
Bake for about 30 minutes or until bubbly.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Copycat Chipotle... 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Grandma Bea's Always Moist Roast... 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Spanish Cauliflower Rice - Low... 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Baby Red Potato Salad Recipe 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Pumpkin Lust Cake 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Moist Zucchini Bread 4.4/5 (33 Votes)
- Cacio e Pepe with bacon (Zucchini... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Grilled Brussel Sprouts with... 4.4/5 (31 Votes)