Low Carb Cheesy Yellow Squash Casserole
Recipe from George Stella’s REAL FOOD REAL EASY cookbook
- nonstick cooking spray
- 11 ⁄2 pounds yellow squash, thinly sliced into discs
- salt and pepper
- 1 ⁄4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 ⁄4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 ⁄2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from pinterest.com
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Layer the bottom of the baking dish with half of the yellow squash slices and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with 1⁄2 of the onions, 1⁄2 of the red bell pepper, dollops of 1⁄2 of the cream cheese, and then 1⁄2 of the Cheddar cheese over top.
3. Repeat the process of step 2 all over again, creating a second layer of yellow squash and then the other ingredients, ending with the remaining Cheddar cheese on top.
4. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is beginning to brown and squash is fork tender. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
George’s Tips | Cut down on the cooking time by lightly boiling, steaming, or sautéing the yellow squash before baking until nearly tender. Simply bake until cheese is melted.
Variation | You can also make this with the strands of one cooked spaghetti squash in place of the yellow squash
calories:160|fat: 12g|protein: 7.5g|fiber:1.5g|net carbs:5g
See More of my Recipes on Pinterest--->
You'll also love
- Moroccan Meatballs with Lemon... 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Low Carb White Chocolate... 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Broccoli Cheddar Panini 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Overnight Pumpkin Spice Rolls 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Mom's zucchini bread 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Grilled Brussel Sprouts with... 4.3/5 (33 Votes)
- Yellow Squash Muffins 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Squash Casserole (Great) 4.6/5 (7 Votes)