Seared Shrimp, Scallop and Grape Tomato Couscous Salad
Warm tender shrimp and scallops, a lightcouscous salad and cool crispy greens all add up to a terrific main course salad for a light dinner or lunch. You can prepare the couscous ahead of time but it’s best to cook the shrimp, scallops, tomatoes and warm dressing just before serving the salad. The aromas in the kitchen will have your guests’ mouths watering before they even see your creation.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) couscous
- 12 large or jumbo (21 to 30 per 454 g) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 large sea scallops, trimmed of side muscle
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) grape tomatoes
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 6 cups (1.5 L) mixed salad greens
Adapted from lcbo.com
1 Bring water and ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt, and pepper to taste, to a boil over high heat in a saucepan. Gradually stir in couscous; remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool, uncovered.
2 Pat shrimp and scallops dry. Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of olive oil over high heat in a skillet until very hot. Sear shrimp, turning once, for about 1 minute per side or just until pink and opaque; transfer to a bowl. Add scallops to skillet and sear for about 2 minutes or until brown and crisp on the bottom (don’t try to turn them too soon or they’ll tear); flip over and sear for 1 to 2 minutes or until browned and just opaque inside. Transfer to bowl with shrimp; set aside.
3 Add grape tomatoes to skillet and cook, shaking pan often, for about 3 minutes or until browned and just softened; transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add shallots and thyme and sauté for 2 minutes or until softened. Pour in vinegar and bring to a boil, deglazing pan.
4 Transfer shallot mixture to a large bowl, scraping pan well. Whisk in remaining oil, mustard and ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper. Pour half of the dressing over shrimp and scallops; toss to coat. Add couscous and diced zucchini to large bowl and toss to coat with dressing.
5 Arrange greens on individual serving plates, top with couscous and tomatoes. Arrange shrimp and scallops on top and drizzle salads with remaining dressing from bowl.
You'll also love
- Cafe Rio Lime Rice 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Dutch Oven Apple Strudel Pull... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Spaghetti Casserole topped with... 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Baked Shrimp Mayo 4.1/5 (9 Votes)
- Orecchiette with Kale, Bacon, and... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Baked Ziti and Summer Veggies 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Tuscan Tilapia Fillets 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Three-Cheese Ravioli with Baby... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
Review this recipe