Spaghetti Casserole topped with French Fried Onions
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 pound soy crumbles (optional)
- 1 large can spaghetti sauce (26.5 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green peppers (I usually omit or substitute red peppers)
- 1/3 cup chopped onions
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- French Fried Onions (small can)
- Maybe add some other veggies instead of soy crumbles
Cook spaghetti according to directions on the package.
Cook to al dente, drain and set aside.
Heat up soy crumbles. Add spaghetti sauce to skillet and heat.
Combine onions, peppers and butter in small glass bowl. Cover and microwave 4 minutes on HIGH until soft.
Add cream cheese and milk to vegetables and stir well. (If cream cheese is not soft, nuke it for 20-30 seconds to make it easy to spread.)
Using a 10 x 6 dish, assemble in the following order:
Thin layer of spaghetti sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish.
Cream cheese/vegetable mixture
Parmesan Cheese (amount subject to your own taste)
French Fried Onions (added during last 5 minutes of cooking)
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Top with French
Fried onion and continue baking 5 more minutes. (This is the secret ingredient–don’t let them burn.)