LEEK GRATIN WITH BREAD CRUMBS, BACON
- 2 generous pounds leeks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup each heavy cream and grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 tablespoon each chopped fresh dill and parsley
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into small dice
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs from a dense French-style loaf
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
Using scissors, clip the leeks dark outer leaves. Remove root ends, quarter leek lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces. Soak in 2 changes of water to remove grit; drain well.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks; season with salt and pepper and saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl and mix in cream, cheese, dill and parsley. Wipe out skillet and place over medium-low heat. Add bacon and fry until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain and stir into leeks. Turn leek mixture into a 9-inch pie plate or similar size pan.
Heat oven to 45 degrees. Meanwhile, heat a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Toss remaining oil with bread crumbs, garlic abd a dash of salt and pepper. Add to skillet and toast until golden brown, aboput 5 minutes. Sprinkle over leeks. Bake until bubbly and golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve.
You'll also love
- Tomato Souffle 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Fornetti's Roast Turkey Sandwich 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Carla Hall's Ten Gallon Apple Pie 5/5 (1 Votes)
- PORK TENDERLOIN WITH GARLIC AND... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Chicken Thighs with Bacon and... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Potato & Leek Gratin 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Cabbage, Potato and Leek Soup 4.1/5 (15 Votes)